What happens to you when you get triggered by something in your world?
Maybe it’s something as simple as a slow driver in traffic and you are late to work?
Or maybe it a negative comment from your Mother?
Or maybe something your partner did….or DIDN’T do?
Or maybe your boss pointed out something wrong with the project you put your heart and soul into?
All of these can be triggers for you, in turn causing an upset inside of you.
Then what happens? Rage, anger, bitterness and resentment? Suffering inside?
These are all normal human responses to your world. However, you DO have choices that you can make between the stimulus and response of what is happening inside of you.
You can choose to:
- Explode your emotions, yell and scream, blame everyone and everything for your upset.
- Hide your upset, emotions and keep it all locked up inside.
- Feel your feelings. See what is the deeper level of the trigger. Take responsibility for your upset. Heal the wound inside of you.
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”
~Viktor E. Frankl
You DO have a choice.
I can share with you from personal experience, that #1 and #2 don’t resolve the suffering inside. In the past, not knowing any better, I unconsciously choose the screaming response. It is not very attractive and it took much of my precious energy.
Then there was a period in my life where I thought that being quiet and keeping my anger inside and diffused was a better choice. Repressing emotions, also not a good choice as it manifested into illness in my body.
Have you experienced the pain of an upset and unconsciously choose response #1 or #2?
If you want to find a resolution to your upset and bring peace to yourself, then response #3 is the best choice. However, it takes conscious awareness of what’s going on inside of you AND the willingness to take responsibility for your upset.
“Only you can take dominion over your consciousness.”~ Dr. Mary Hulnick
If, in the midst of the space between your stimulus and response of your trigger, you choose response #3, here are the steps I suggest you move through to find freedom from the suffering inside of yourself:
- Recognize the trigger and give yourself some space.
- Feel your feelings, angry, upset, mad….allow yourself to FEEL them.
- Take 100% responsibility for your upset.
- Rise above your life as an observer and see what is really happening.
- Look to see what the upset is REALLY about…then go deeper. The thing is never the thing.
- Move into self-forgiveness for any judgements you might have towards yourself and others.
- Now as you have released your judgments, you can see the truth in the situation.
- Repeat as necessary.
“Every time one person heals an issue, all of humanity evolves.” ~Dr. Ron Hulnick
You do have the power to heal your triggers and upsets. Peace and freedom are on the other side of the suffering.
Maybe you are dealing with a trigger and upset right now in your life.
Ask yourself how bad do you want to heal?
Are you ready to see the truth?
Are you ready to take responsibility for your own upset without blaming another person?
Are you ready heal your own suffering?
If you are ready, use these steps to begin your healing.
I would love to hear your feedback in how this post can support you in finding peace and freedom from your suffering. And as always, if you need some support with this, I invite you to reach out to me.